. Olivia Rose: MUSICAL LADIES

Saturday 11 July 2015

MUSICAL LADIES

The other day I noticed that the vast majority of the music that I listen to is performed by men. Literally 90% of my music taste are male bands and male solo artists, and it made me wonder about how many women that I listen to in music. Now obviously as a girl myself, it really empowers me to see ladies in music, and of course makes me feel hella proud to be of the same gender, as it shows that women are just as important and talented in the music industry, and I treasure every single lady that has her place there.

Of course, there are a lot of women in the music industry, and obviously every one has their own favourites, and I feel like sharing the musical women that I love with you all, as I can share my thoughts and opinions, even why I love them myself!



STEVIE NICKS
Solo artist and Fleetwood Mac member, Stevie is a queen in her own right. There's something about Stevie that I just looove, of course the fact that she's in one of my favourite bands, but her presence always makes me feel like dressing up in something long and flowing, so basically throwing on a kimono and going for a walk (aka dance around with nature) in the woods listening to, well of course Fleetwood Mac!  Everything about Stevie is so magical, from her singing, to her lively hair, Stevie has that hippie/classical look to that I wish I could pull off just as well as she can, even though that will never happen cause I am definitely no Stevie Nicks!


NORAH JONES
Norah Jones is literally my first lady of music, Ive been listening to her music ever since I was 8 years old, and I still listen to her to this day. Norah's name has been in our household ever since I was  old enough to even appreciate music, and her music means more to me now more than ever. I can't really say when or where I first heard Norah, but she sure as hell has helped me in my time of need. Now you're probably wondering what the hell I'm taking about? but basically, when I was little (as I stated before, around 8 years old) I would be sat on the back seat of the car on the way back from my grandparents at night who live in Blackpool (which is around 45 minutes away from Manchester, on a good day), and on the way home i'd be really tired and sleepy. Unfortunately I've had travel sickness for a long time, and with a mix of a young me who was sick and tired at the same time, this wasn't a good combination, and Norah's music used to always be on in the background on CD. This would always calm me down and ease me off to sleep in the car as her music is so soothing, what a life saver!! (for both me and my parents to be honest haha!). Obviously as I wasn't as obsessed with music back then, and didn't even have an iPod to listen to music I liked on and things like that, I wasn't constantly listening to her, and didn't really make much of her music, except from when I was in the car of course. Overtime I think Norah's music went on the quiet side in our house, and I re-discovered my love for her when she paired up with Billie Joe (Green Day), who I was completely obsessed with for three years (please note I still love them to bits!). As soon as I heard that these two wear pairing up, my love for Norah re-blossomed and I just had to listen to the whole Come Away With Me album again from those years back. Im telling you, that album really brought back some strong nostalgia, like it was just so powerful, it was like discovering a part of music I had totally forgot about, and I am so glad that I re found my love, as I am now a lot older, I can appreciate her music a lot lot more. Norah will always have a special place in my heart, and no matter where I am, her music will always remind me of a sleepy younger self in the back of a car.


BLONDIE/DEBBIE HARRY
If theres any lady that I could be in the music industry, it'd be Debbie Harry. She's the queen of punk, rock and new wave. Blondie was introduced to me through my dad, who has loved Blondie from a young age, I can't exactly remember when I started to listen to her music, but I definitely know that it started off from my dad and grew and grew as the years went by. Whenever I look at photos of her I am constantly in awe about how beautiful she is, like if I could look like anyone it'd be Debbie, she's just got so much style and i'd kill for looks like hers! I don't really know how to talk about Debbie as she's just so sensational, from her voice, to her looks, to her style, I couldn't pick one trait to take from Debbie as I just want them all, she's got so much class and I am extremely jealous of anyone who has seen Blondie live, please consider yourself lucky! The thing about Blondie's music is that it gives me so many different thoughts and feelings. One Way Or Another makes me feel rather mischievous, Sunday Girl makes me feel all sweet, whilst when I listen to Heart of Glass I just imagine a classy actress in the 1950/60's dancing around her dressing room in a gold glitter dress and a fur stole whilst singing and spraying Chanel.


AMY WINEHOUSE
Sometimes when you hear music on the radio, you can easily get mixed up with artists that may sound similar, but when it comes to Amy's voice, you know exactly who it is. They do say you cant miss someone you have never met, but the tragic death of this angel has made me long for her unique voice even more. When people pass people tend to use past tense like "she was a beautiful singer", but to me, and hopefully other people, she still is. Amy's voice and presence is a regular thing in our house, we always have her blasting out the docking station speakers, or have her Glastonbury set playing on the TV, and I am always fascinated by her voice and her unique fashion sense, and even her eyeliner style takes a very important role in my every day make up life!


HAIM
Nothing makes me happier than seeing family in music. Its so strong, and if I had the opportunity to be musically involved with family i'd snap up the chance straight away. HAIM where one of those bands that I saw people talk about every once in a while, and when I continue to see\hear about someone musically, I always open up my good friend Spotify and give their music a listen, and this was just the thing that happened with HAIM. After listening to Days Are Gone the whole way through, I replayed the whole thing again as I wanted to get another good dose of this albums potential, and it's definitely a brilliant album that needs to be followed. One thing that I love about these girls, alongside their music, is their sense of style. Many of times Ive seen a photo of the family trio and thought "Now there's a good outfit to steal", and these moments are constantly occurring. If I ever wanted inspiration for a new outfit, I'd just take a look at these girls! One of the things that really annoys me is when you suddenly start to like a band after they have toured and been to your nearest city, ever had that happened to you? if not, then well you're very lucky but if it has, then I feel your pain and this is exactly my problem with HAIM! I'm just hoping they will return back to Manchester at some point, it hurts not being able to write these girlies on my acts-ive-seen-live list!


No comments:

Post a Comment